Second man shot in Zerega, three suspects being sought

The NYPD investigates the crime scene after the shooting.
Photo by Edwin Soto

An incident on the morning of Saturday, August 31 has resulted in the launching of an investigation to locate three individuals who are suspected of shooting a man in his mid-30s.

At about 7:45 a.m. the 45th Precinct responded to a report involving a shooting incident that occurred in front of 2430 E. Tremont Avenue, just off Lyvere Street.

The 37-year old victim had reported to the police that he was standing on the East Tremont Avenue sidewalk when an unknown individual fired his weapon and struck him in both legs, before the suspect proceeded to flee the scene on foot in an unknown direction.

It is believed that the suspect was accompanied by two other individiuals during the incident, according to the report.

The victim, whose name was not released, was transported to NYC Health + Hospitals at Jacobi for treament.

Following the incident, the NYPD closed off the area with yellow crime scene tape as they investigated what had taken place there earlier that morning. They found over a dozen spent shell casings.

As of press time, NYPD Public Information confirmed that no arrests have been made and that the investigation is still ongoing.

This was the second shooting incident in the last month to occur on East Tremont Avenue in Zerega. In late July, 34-year old Edwin Monroig was shot in the back of the head while walking along East Tremont Avenue near St. Raymond Avenue.

The shooting took place approximately seven blocks from where Saturday’s shooting incident occurred. Unlike that scenario, this shooting took place at night, just before 10 p.m.

Monroig, who was taken to Jacobi Medical Center, initially survived the shooting but died from his injuries two days later, on July 31.

The NYPD later identified the shooter, described as an Hispanic male with a goatee and wearing a baseball cap, as 35-year-old Julio Pena.

The NYPD closed off the area where the 37-year old victim was shot on East Tremont Avenue and Lyvere Street.
Photo by Edwin Soto

More from Around NYC