The Bronx Council on the Arts (BCA) announces the availability of its 2009-2010 Community Arts Grants (CAG) application and guidelines which are currently available online on BCA’s web site at www.bronxarts.org. Hard copies will be available at BCA’s 1738 Hone Avenue office on July 13. Additionally, copies will be available at borough-wide distribution sites the week of July 20,.
The purpose of the grant is to provide support toward artist fees and other expenses related to arts activities taking place in the Bronx and serving Bronx residents. Eligible organizations may submit up to three requests for a variety of arts and cultural projects, but the total monetary amount for all three requests combined cannot exceed $5,000. Average grants range from $1,000 to $1,400, but can be lower depending on the quality of the applications and its support materials. Last year the average grant was $1,627.
BCA awards these funds to Arts Organizations and Community-Based Organizations based and operating in the Bronx. Projects funded range from after-school arts workshops to production expenses for performances and exhibitions. All applications are welcome. However, the program only awards funds directly to not-for-profit, Bronx-based organizations. Individual artists have access to this grant only by forming a partnership with a Bronx not-for-profit organization. Those artists should contact Americo Casiano Jr. at (718) 931-9500, ext. 19 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
A series of free seminars instructing applicants how to fill out the application will be offered at a variety of Bronx locations. First time applicants are required to attend one of these seminars. BCA urges returning organizations to attend at least one workshop in order to be informed of changes to eligibility and requirements in the program.
The Dates for the 2009 CAG Seminar/Workshops are:
• Tuesday, July 14, 4 p.m., Hostos Community College, Room 391C, Bronx, NY 10451
• Thursday, July 16, 4 p.m., Hostos Community College, Room 391C, Bronx, NY 10451
• Tuesday, July 21, 6 p.m., Bronx Council on the Arts, 1738 Hone Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461
• Thursday, July 23, 6 p.m., Bronx Council on the Arts, 1738 Hone Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461
• Tuesday, July 28, 4 p.m., Wakefield Public Library, 4100 Lowerre Place at E. 229 St., Bronx, NY 10466
• Thursday, August 6, 6 p.m., Bronx Library Center, 310 East Kingsbridge Road, Bronx, NY 10458
The Deadline for submission is Friday, September 18. The application and required documents may be hand delivered (no later than 5 p.m.) or mailed. If mailed, it must be postmarked by the post office, not metered by September 18,.
Guidelines and applications can be picked up after July 20 at:
• At Bronx Council On the Arts, 1738 Hone Avenue;
• At your local assembly member’s neighborhood office;
• At your state senator’s neighborhood office;
• At the Longwood Art Gallery at Hostos Community College, 450 Grand Concourse at 149th Street;
• At the Bronx Museum of the Arts, 1040 Grand Concourse at 165th Street;
• At BCA’s Bronx Writers’ Center at Westchester Square Library, 2521 Glebe Avenue;
• At all Bronx branches of the New York Public Library;
• At your local community planning board office. Call (718) 931-9500, ext. 19 for the address of your planning board Office.
If you wish to receive an application by mail, call BCA at (718) 931-9500, ext. 19. Visit BCA’s web site at www.bronxarts.org for updated information on these grants as well as other events, activities, and offerings of the Bronx Council on the Arts.
These grants are made possible by funds from the New York State Council on the Arts’ Decentralization Program.