Man murdered after parking lot incident

Gjok Deda was arrested, arraigned and charged with first degree manslaughter on Thursday, March 19.
Photo courtesy of Channel 2

A homicide that took place on a Country Club street last week has left a neighborhood stunned and residents in shock.

On Monday, March 23, 50-year old Gjok Deda was arrested and arraigned, charged with first degree manslaughter after allegedly punching and killing 68-year old Ronald Antonucci on Thursday, March 19.

The incident began just after 7:30 a.m., when Antonucci, a grandpa and retired carpenter who had lived in the building complex for over a decade, was moving his car and backed up into a parking space outside his residence at 1110 Stadium Avenue, just off of Layton Avenue and Shore Drive.

Deda, who was also a resident at 1110 Stadium Avenue and lived three floors above Antonucci, was walking by with his two young daughters as Antonucci maneuvered his vehicle.

According to reports, Deda accused Antonucci of backing his car up too close to him and his children.

When the dispute escalated, Deda allegedly punched Antonucci in the eyes, face and head area numerous times.

After being struck , Antonucci fell to the sidewalk and never got up.

When cops arrived on the scene, he was being treated by EMS. He was taken to Jacobi Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

The medical examiner’s office confirmed the cause of death to be blunt impact to the head, and the death was ruled a homicide.

Deda fled the scene after the incident, but was arrested and arraigned four days later, on Monday, March 23.

He is currently being held without bail after it was denied, and is expected back in court on Friday, March 27.

According to reports, Deda has no previous criminal record.

Residents who knew both parties say that the two men were relatively quiet and kept to themselves, although they had more recollections of Antonucci, stating that he was noticeably friendly and was the type to say “hello”, ”goodbye” and “thank you’” as well as hold the door open for people.

“I’m sure he (Deda) didn’t wake up that morning with intentions of killing him (Antonucci),” said resident Michael Ingrassi, who frequently saw Antonucci before and after work during the week. “It’s a shame though, especially considering that Antonucci seemed to be a genuinely nice person.”

“You can read the signs if somebody is nice or not – and Antonucci was”, he added.

Many residents are also in disbelief that an occurrence like this one would take place in their neighborhood.

“This neighborhood is shocked,” a resident of eight years stated. “Usually, situations like these are rare for middle class/retired neighborhoods like Country Club to witness, and it has resulted in residents taking precaution by being more alert and aware of these instances.”

“It’s unfortunate that this type of incident took place in the neighborhood,” said resident Bob Guiliano, who added that this situation is sad for the area and should have been avoided.

“He (Deda) overreacted. There was no reason for him to take matters into his own hands in that particular way.”

This incident marks the second murder to take place within the confines of the 45th Precinct this year, after Brooklyn resident Erik Perez allegedly killed his grandmother Alice Durso at her home at 633 Hollywood Avenue on the morning of New Year’s Day.

Reach Reporter Steven Goodstein at (718) 742–3384. E-mail him at
Photo courtesy of Channel 2

More from Around NYC