Woman assaulted on Swinton Avenue

Police are looking for this man who ambushed a 22-year old Throggs Neck woman outside of her home on Sunday, June 21 at 2:15 a.m.
Photo courtesy of the Umlauft Family

Another woman has been assaulted in Throggs Neck, police said.

According to a NYPD spokesman, a 22-year old woman was assaulted on Thursday, June 25, at 2:15 a.m. in front of 197 Swinton Avenue.

The assault comes on the heels of an attack on another young woman on Hollywood Avenue near Barkley Avenue.

In the Swinton Avenue incident, the victim screamed when she was grabbed and then was pushed to the ground by the assailant who fled the scene, police reported.

She did not get a clear look at her attacker to make a positive identification, according to police.

Police said the woman did not require any medical attention following the incident which has been classified as an ‘assault”’

Wayne Tierney, who lives near where the incident was reported, said that he wanted to alert his neighbors after learning what happened from the victim herself.

He expressed concern about women who can become victims of an attack when coming home late or walking their dog at night.

“I am a life-long Throggs Neck resident and we seldom have these types of incidents,” said Tierney.

He said that the victim alerted neighbors to the incident so that they would be more vigilant.

This assault comes four days shy of a similar incident that occurred on Saturday, June 21 at 2:15 a.m., the same time of night, in which a 22-year old Throggs Neck woman was ambushed outside her home near Hollywood and Barkley avenues.

As previously reported by the Bronx Times, the woman was walking home from her job at Villa Barone Manor, a few blocks away, and was forcibly grabbed from behind by a man described as being 5-foot, 10-inches tall and about 27-years old.

He was decribed as wearing all black and alledgely warned the victim to shut up.

The suspect wrapped his arm around the victim’s throat and held his hand over her mouth to muffle her screams for help.

Classified originally as ‘harassment’, this incident is now listed as ‘criminal obstruction of breathing’, a felony charge.

A wanted poster of the suspect has been distributed by the 45th.

According to the victim’s father, Richard Umlauft, his daughter was able to knock her assailant down the stairs and scream for help.

The suspect ran back up the stairs and attempted to pull Umlauft’s daughter back down again, but she held onto the door handle, thwarting the attack.

According to her father, the suspect was caught on four security cameras including a camera across the street from his home, which had footage of the suspect running up the stairs and then back down before taking off toward Barkley Avenue.

Umlauft said, “We wanted this story out because we definitely don’t want to see another young lady attacked or injured.”

Local community activist John Marano said that he would reach out to the 45th Precinct to see if there were any developments in the two investigations.

“This brings to light the fact that we do have situations like this in our area,” he said.

“Because this is a low-crime area, it does not mean that we don’t need a larger police presence,” he added. “I will continue to be very vocal with the police department regarding the problems we do have here and that we need more police attention (in the 45th Precinct).”

Security footage of the suspect involved in an assault that occurred on Sunday, June 21 at 2:15 a.m. between Hollywood and Barkley avenues.
Photo courtesy of the Umlauft Family

More from Around NYC

>