The Bronx’s Italian American pride was on full display at this year’s 40th Annual Bronx Columbus Day Parade on Sunday, October 9 in Morris Park. Nearly 100 marching bands, schools and community groups marched their way up Morris park Avenue which sported a freshly painted red, white, and green median as thousands of spectators cheered. The parade was a preface to the official Monday, October 10 holiday recognizing Italian explorer Christopher Columbus who is remembered for discovering the ‘New World’ of the Americas in 1492.
(1) The Air Patrol Eastchester Division carried on despite the rain.
(2) Honorary grand marshal Joanne Rubino and grand marshal Richard Naclerio greeted the crowd in style.
(3) Members of Associazione Figli di Castello del Matese traveled from Italy to march in the parade.
(4) Paw Patrol’s Marshall, Dory, Minnie Mouse, Pikachu and other film and TV characters marched along with Fordham Prep students.
(5) Bronx Miss Columbus Deanna Falciglia was sunshine on a cloudy day as she waved to passerbys.
(6) Local elected officials including Assemblyman Michael Benedetto (l) and Senator Jeff Klein (r) marched in the Columbus Day Parade.
(7) The Port Chester Marching Band marched to the rhythm of their drums.
(8) NYS Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli (r) congratulated parade organizer Tony Signorile on another successful year.
(9) Children on the Morris Park Community Association Float enjoyed touring the neighborhood.
(10) The Saints Brigade
(11) (l-r) John Marano, Community Board 10 first vice chairman; Al D’Angelo; Bronx Miss Columbus Falciglia; grand marshal Naclerio; honorary grand marshal Rubino; Senator Klein; Frank Agovino, MPCA board member and Fr. Robert Aufieri, St. Dominic’s Church pastor Photo by Silvio Pacifico
(12) Bronx Miss Columbus Falciglia (l) and honorary grand marshal Rubino greeted everyone from the stage.
(13) (l-r) Morris Park residents Olivia, Tina and Chloe Cancellieri displayed their Italian American pride.
(14) Grand marshal Naclerio (2nd from r) with Morris Park Community Association board members (l-r) Silvio Mazzella, Al D’Angelo and Frank Agovino.
Photo by Silvio Pacifico
(15) (l-r) Silvio Mazzella, Morris Park Community Association board member; Thomas Lucania, Borough President Diaz’s Community Affairs Board Unit and Legislative Affairs director; Al D’Angelo, MPCA vice president; Tony Signorile, MPCA president; Thomas Messina, representing Congressman Joseph Crowley; Bronx Miss Columbus Deanna Falciglia; honorary grand marshal Joanne Rubino and Bronx Parks Commissioner Iris Rodriguez-Rosa.
©2016 Community News Group