Sections

McDonald’s stabbing suspect turns himself in

Bronx Times
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

The suspect in a McDonald’s stabbing has surrendered to the NYPD.

On Wednesday, January 6, at about 11 a.m., the man wanted in last week’s incident at a McDonald’s in Kingsbridge turned himself in to the 50th Precinct.

The suspect, 43-year-old Rafael Gonzalez, was charged with second degree intentional murder and manslaughter with intent to cause physical injury, after he allegedly stabbed McDonald’s night manager Adam Garcia in the parking lot of the 5765 Broadway restaurant, just a block from the 50th Precinct, two days earlier.

Garcia, who was working after hours with a co-worker who he had planned to give a ride home to, found Gonzalez, a homeless man who frequented that McDonald’s location on several occasions, loitering in one of the bathroom stalls just after 4 a.m. on Monday morning.

After Gonzalez was removed from the bathroom, they got into an altercation in the parking lot, where Gonzalez allegedly slashed Garcia in the neck and stabbed him multiple times in the chest.

Gonzalez fled the scene, but was captured on surveillance footage.

EMS responded to the scene and transported the Kingsbridge resident to New York Presbyterian Hospital Allen Pavilion, where he was pronounced deceased.

“This is a terrible loss suffered by our community,” said a spokesperson from Community Board 8. “Garcia, a lifelong Bronx resident and described by a cousin as a ‘really sweet person’, was working his way up at the McDonald’s organization to make a better life for his family. On that Monday morning, he had stayed later than the end of his usual work shift to help out his relief - only to be the victim of an unfortunate scenario. This is an appalling tragedy.”

“I am saddened and shocked by this horrible incident and our entire (McDonald’s) family is grieving over Adam (Garcia’s) senseless death,” said Chris Trefz, McDonald’s owner and operator. “He was a loyal colleague and an example to all who worked alongside of him. My heart goes out to his parents, his friends and, most importantly, his young son, through whom we hope that Adam’s memory will live on and his laugh will be heard again.”

“The safety of my customers and employees continues to remain a top priority and we will assist the New York City Police Department with the investigation in any way possible,” he added.

Reach Reporter Steven Goodstein at (718) 260-4599. E-mail him at sgoodstein@cnglocal.com.
Updated 5:02 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:


Classifieds
Schneps Community News Group

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: