Keeping with a time honored Bronx tradition, children and adults alike gathered around Morris Park Avenue lining up from White Plains Road to Williamsbridge Road this past Sunday, October 11 to watch the 39th Annual Bronx Columbus Day Parade. Nearly 100 marching bands, schools and community groups marched their way up Morris Park Avenue, which sported a freshly painted red, white and green median, as thousands of spectators watched and cheered from the sidelines during this annual Italian American cultural celebration. The parade served as a preface to the official Monday, October 12 holiday honoring the great Italian explorer, Christopher Columbus who is remembered for his 1492 discovery of the ‘New World’ of the Americas.
(1) The Westchester Brassmen marching band.
(2) (l-r) Past Miss Bronx Columbus winners Loredana Calce, Kristen Carew and Gianna Bianco were in attendance for last Sunday’s celebration.
(3) (l-r) Silvio Mazzella, Jacobi Hospital Community Advisory Board chairman; Al D’Angelo, Morris Park Community Association vice president; Mayor DeBlasio; Virginia Torrelli; Tony Signorile, Parade organizer and Morris Park Community Association president and Frank Agolino, vice president of Morris Park Community Association
(4)(l-r) Marie Hoffman enjoys the parade outside Loreto Park with her son, Tom Hoffman and his wife, Lucy.
(5) (l-r) Grand Marshal Mario Cilento; Honorary Grand Marshal Josephine Fanelli; Miss Columbus Bianca Mastropietro; Isabella Periotto, Deputy Consul for the Italian Consulate of New York and NYS Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli share a laugh..
(6) The Star of the Sea Cadets Marching Band performed for the parade.
(7)St. Clare’s School student Madison Rocco marched with her school.
(8) (l-r) Edira Kovacevic and Emily Zumbado from Conti’s Pastry Shoppe distributed delicious pastries and sweet treats to the parade crowd.
(9) Miss Columbus Bianca Mastropietro waves to the crowd as she passes by in style.
(2) Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr. gives the thumbs up that he is ready to march down Morris Park Avenue.