In cooperation with the Bronx Council on the Arts (BCA), ARIVA, a non-profit organization focused on financial literacy and tax preparation services, has designated Friday, April 3, as Artist Tax Day. On this day, ARIVA will demonstrate its commitment to artists in the Bronx by offering free tax preparation to artists who live in the borough. ARIVA volunteers specially trained in the tax issues pertinent to artists will be available to prepare tax returns for qualified individuals. There is no charge for this service, but appointments must be made in advance. April 3 office hours are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Those taking part in this program need to bring with them:
• Proof of identification and Social Security card for everyone being claimed;
• W2 or 1099 forms for all work paid for in 2008;
• If claiming child care expenses, documentation and child care provider tax ID number;
• Any other tax related documentation received;
• If you have small business revenues and expenses related to your work as an artist, please bring all documentation including bank and credit card statements and receipts with you when you want to have your taxes prepared.
• Note: Spouse must be present for joint filings.
ARIVA’s tax preparation program is geared to residents with an annual income of $45,000 or less for a household of at least 2 people; or $20,000 for an individual.
Those unable to participate on April 3 can contact ARIVA for an appointment (through April 15th) dur-ing regularly scheduled tax preparation hours: Monday through Thursday 4 to 7:30 p.m., and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Note: ARIVA will only be taking Friday appointments for Schedule C filers.
ARIVA is located at 69 East 167th Street, 2nd floor (corner of Gerard Avenue) and can be contacted at (718) 292-2983.
©2009 Community News Group